To define the essential job functions, responsibilities and qualifications of a Critical Care Transport (CCT) Registered Nurse working for San Luis Ambulance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assess each call situation to determine the best course of action and the most appropriate patient treatment protocol.
- Performs a patient assessment, obtains a pertinent medical report from the referral staff, determines the need for stabilization in a collaborative manner, performs interventions and assesses the patient response to those interventions.
- Use medical supplies, medications, equipment and procedures including, but not limited to, defibrillators, EKG monitors, infusion pumps, ventilators, oxygen administration and suction devices, hemodynamic monitoring, intravenous fluids, CPR and other procedures as required to provide the highest quality inter-hospital patient care.
- Provide patient care at a critical care/advanced life support level according to SLA and SLOCO EMSA policies and protocols.
- Communicate with hospitals and other receiving facilities in order to receive medical direction and provide critical patient care information.
- Communicate treatment and transport information to patients and family in a clear, accurate, and compassionate manner.
- Assume a “team leader role” and take responsibility for scene management when required.
- Able to respond to conflict or stressful situations in a positive and constructive manner.
- Maintain current licenses and certifications (Registered Nurse, BLS, ACLS, and PALS).
- Maintains current knowledge of nurse practice and standards of care.
- Educate EMT and paramedic partners on new and changing treatment information.
- Maintain the overall condition of the patient care area of the unit in a manner that maintains the SLA professional image.
- Actively participate in community education programs to maintain the SLA professional image as well as establish strong community relations.
- Document all treatment and transport activities in an accurate, concise, and complete manner.
- Maintain prompt and regular attendance.
- Other duties as reasonably requested by the Division Supervisors, Field Supervisors, CCT Manager, Operations Director, General Manager, Vice President or President/CEO.
- 21 years of age.
- Possess a California RN Licensure.
- Driving record in compliance with SLA policies regarding insurability.
- Possess a High School diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing is required.
- Possess a Current ACLS Certification.
- Possess a current PALS certification.
- Recommendation of CEN, and/or CCRN.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Three (3) years of critical care nursing experience, within the previous 4 years, prior to employment as a critical care transport nurse with SLA.
- Must be able to make patient care decisions quickly and appropriately.
- Must be able to work with limited supervision.
- Must be able to report to work at various stations within San Luis Obispo County as required.